Macaroni and cheese is a childhood staple, no? YES!
Cheeseburger Macaroni is even better than that. Promise.
I first saw the recipe over at Kevin and Amanda’s and made it for Boy and Girl on my last visit.
It was given high marks by all and was instantly added to my meal rotation list. Plus, it’s very simple and quick to make. BONUS!
Pop on over to their site for a blow by blow pictorial on how to make this dish. Beautiful and yummy!
Of course, OMT! views recipes as suggestions, so here is my variation (for a doubled recipe):
- 1 lb ground turkey meat
- 4-6 tablespoons of Taco Mix seasoning
- 1 can diced tomatoes w/green chilies
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 3 cups elbow macaroni
- Cheese sauce
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tbsp flour
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups milk (depending on how thick you like your cheesey sauce)
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Brown and drain hamburger meat.
- Stir in taco seasoning, tomatoes, beef broth, and macaroni.
- Heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat and cover pan.
- Simmer 12-14 minutes, until macaroni is tender.
- Once uncovered, if there is an abundance of liquid, reduce a bit before pouring in cheese sauce, or you will have a runnier consistency.
- Meanwhile, make the cheese sauce
- Melt the butter in a saucepan.
- Whisk in the flour and cook, whisking for 5 minutes until fragrant and light brown in color.
- Whisk in the milk and bring to a boil.
- Whisk until smooth and thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in the shredded cheddar cheese until melted.
- Add the salt and pepper to the cheese sauce.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the hamburger mixture.
- Stir gently to combine.
This is serious yum. Comfort food, y’all. A much better, homemade, version of the old Hamburger Helper of yore.
Thanks for the inspiration, Kevin and Amanda! My taste-buds and belly salute you!